22 March 2009

Batman: The Killing Joke

Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke" is revered as one of the definitive Batman comics. Personally, I've never been that into it. Don't get me wrong -- it's a great comic and it certainly lays down some important Batman groundwork (Joker's origin story as well as the crippling of Barbara Gordon), but I wouldn't say it's Batman at his best.

One of the biggest problems I have with the story is Commissioner Gordon. When Batman ultimately frees him from captivity he tells Batman to "do this one by the book" in order to "show him that the system works". Although I like the honest, unflinchingly benevolent portrayal of Gordon, I find him a better counterpoint to Batman when he encourages Batman to act outside of the law. I guess I just can't believe that given Gordon's situation -- having been captured by the Joker and forced to watch the rape, crippling and torture of his daughter repeatedly -- that he wouldn't seek a higher degree of revenge. I find that it is often Gordon's desire to see a criminal suffer and Batman's decision to do "justice" that characterizes their relationship, not the other way around.

One of my favorite elements in this comic is the groundskeeper who sells Joker the abandoned theme park. From the moment the Joker electrocutes him, leaving him with a sickening grin atop a child's rocking horse toy, he does not leave this spot. Throughout the comic he appears several times, merely a piece of scenery, whenever new action is taking place in the theme park. This little touch is Brian Bolland's art at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment